Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Phantom Gourmet BBQ Beach Party -- Proceed with Caution!

Plate from last year's BBQ Beach Party
WED 6/18 to SUN 6/22

10am to 11pm
Phantom Gourmet BBQ Beach Party
at City Hall Plaza, Boston (Govt Center)
Admission: $5 -- WED thru FRI / $10 -- SAT & SUN

I remember speaking to some people about this event last year, and 90% of the feedback was negative.

At least they're not charging $10 to get in like last year (it could be $10 if you don't puchase your tix in advance) -- on the other hand "long lines" was one of the big complaints, and I don't see that improving.

You could eat for $10 or so. Samplers will range between $6 to $15, depending on the size and vendor (10 BBQ options including local Firefly's). Beers should be $5, but my problem with the "beer garden" system is that you can't hold your beer while you wait in line for food. Bottled water may be $3, so you might want to discreetly pick up beverage at CVS ahead of time...

I don't doubt that the food will be good -- and it's a chance to try some excellent out-of-town barbecue -- but just be prepared to wait much longer than you will actually spend enjoying your plate.

I suggest going with low expectations. Your best bet is to swoop in as soon as they open, which may or may not work on the weekends. Get some friends to join you, so you can split up and enjoy a little from each other's plates. IF they are really going to serve until 11pm, it could be a really good late-night meal option.

Maybe the Phantom Gourmet is going to be pissed off at me, but I don't write for them...

"Beach Party"? There's some sand.

Update: I went by last night, and admission was not $1 but $5; I guess that's the advance price. Have adjusted the admission price above to refelct the change until I can confirm (web page not loading for me). I almost went in (the lines seemed long, but bearable), but couldn't justify paying - $5 - to buy my dinner... And screw them for not leaving a path through Govt Center for pedestrians...

* * * * *

I've heard that Kevin Garnett is a regular "Cheap Thrills Boston" reader, so:

Congrats to all of the Celtics!

No comments:

ShareThis2