Friday, December 11, 2009

Thru 12/27: "Tru Grace: Holiday Memoirs"


Believe it or not, I get a little "bah-humbug" around this time of the year. As a recovering Catholic schoolboy, I opt for the cafeteria approach to the holidays:

Breathe in the pine scent (tree, wreath, etc), admire colorful light displays, enjoy the seasonal sweets, have a few cups of egg nog...

Be friendlier to people, be more charitable, spend time with loved ones, give some presents (from local and independent sources)...
Of course, there must be feats of strength and airing of grievances; but most of the other stuff doesn't really mean much to me.

I'm not at "war against Christmas". The music can put me in a happy mood (more Ramones, less Killers). I usually watch some of holiday movies too.

I know some people like to see song and/or dance performances. Maybe this program will become an annual tradition. These are the kind of stories that could warm my curmudgeonly heart.

(There's also shows like "The Slutcracker" to warm other parts of your body...)

--------------------------------------------------------------

FRI 12/11 thru SUN 12/27 (Schedule Below)

Various Times
"Tru Grace: Holiday Memoirs"
at Central Square Theater, 450 Mass Ave, Cambridge (Central Sq)
$10 * with Discount Code (see below) *

The ostensibly misspelled title is derived from the two authors' names that the plays are based upon: Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory" and Grace Paley's "The Loudest Voice".

I was not familiar with "The Loudest Voice" before this production, but the setting of a Jewish school putting on a nativity play has plenty of potential.

I remember reading "A Christmas Memory" in school and loving it. What I've admired about Capote's writing has been his beautiful style that imparts the characters' humanity. This is a beautiful story of the author as a little boy and his bond with a special cousin. I often squeeze someone's hand three times whether or not they have read "Christmas Memory".

Someone wrote a good, detailed review; but I have a few more thoughts: I like that they have preserved much of the original stories in the manner they've been adapted.

I also like that both plays take place during the '30s as it magnifies the message that we can find joy and be thankful even with meager resources. You also find that good theater doesn't need a gigantic production. This is not overly sentimental pap either, and people will leave in a better mood.

I'm honored to present a really big discount for the show. One of the marketing people over there is one of my 'virtual' friends, so this is the code to purchase $10 tickets to any of the remaining performances:
General admission is $35, so this is a really good deal!

I'd bet that most people don't even know there's a brand-spanking-new theatre in Central Square. Walk down a few doors from the Middle East, and you'll see it way before you hit the fire station.

Showtimes:

FRI 12/11, 12/18
8pm
SAT 12/12, 12/19, 12/26
2pm and 8pm
SUN 12/13, 12/20
2pm
SUN 12/27
2pm and 7pm
WED 12/23
7:30pm

Happy ChristmaChanuKwaanzakah!

No comments:

ShareThis2