Friday, September 03, 2010

FRI 9/3: Art, Folk, Comedy, Funk, Rock


Don't let an impending storm of unknown intensity ruin your night!

--------------------------------------------------------------

FRI 9/3

5pm to 9pm
First Friday Open Studios
at SoWa Arts Bldg, 450 Harrison Ave, Boston (South End)
FREE

When I've gone, there were decent crowds passing through. Several dozen studios with interesting works are always open in the rather large building, and there's bound to be refreshments in a few...

Since Sally Rowles commented once, so say hello if you walk into her studio.

Go tonight or any first Friday of every month.

FRI 9/3 to MON 9/6

6pm
Campfire Festival
at Club Passim, 47 Palmer St, Cambridge (Harvard Sq)
$10 per day / $25 all 4 days

6pm -- Joe Iadanza, Dietrich Strause, Philip Gibbs, Joe Baer Magnant
7:30pm -- The Whiskey Boys
8:15pm -- Meggfarrell's Whiskey Social
9pm -- The Olympic Symphonium
9:45pm -- The Callen Sisters
10:30pm --Ryan Fitzsimmons, Andrew Sloman, Jeremy Lyons, Brendan Hogan
Alas, the smell of burnt marshmallows will not be wafting in the air. Instead of having an indoor fire, mosquitoes, and the other accoutrements that are involved with campfires, Passim sticks to the musical element. It's also nice that they now serve beer and wine after 50+ years.

Due to the number of performers, I didn't listen to all of them. I do like the whiskey theme in tonight's lineup from a trad-leaning duo and a looser, fun-loving ensemble. The night ends up strong with a group of rootsy dudes that I've enjoyed separately.

I posted the full weekend schedule below.

FRI 9/3

7:30pm
Anderson Comedy: The Gas
at Great Scott, 1222 Comm Ave, Allston
$5 / 18+

Feat: Matt Kona, Josh Gondelman, P.J. Westin, Natalie Baseman, Chris Coxen, David Cope, Meghan O'Keefe, Alice Wetterlund, Zayde Buti

At the price, you won't even feel like you paid a cover by the end of the night -- especially if you keep drinking PBR tallboys through The Pill afterwards for the original cover you already paid...

Maybe I shouldn't look at the comedian-per-dollar ratio, however it's a good line-up and the laughs-to-dollar figure should be high. It's supposedly Matt Kona's 300th comedy performance, so he can't be that bad -- right? The info I saw said musical performance by Zayde Buti; I consider his act to be somewhere musical comedy and performance art.

The proceedings are usually hosted by the humorous Rob Crean too.

FRI 9/3

9:30pm
Qwill, The Cilla Bonnie Band, The Dejas
at Lizard Lounge/Cambridge Common, 1667 Mass Ave, Cambridge (between Harvard Sq & Porter Sq)
$10/21+

It's going to be a rather chill night. I found myself listening to each of these groups for an extended period. I think they lulled me as I was typing. There be a general folky/jazzy/soulful/rocky mellowness, but each act has their own appealing sound that is quite different than the others.

FRI 9/3

10pm
Big Ben Hillman & The Royal Family, Nephrok Allstars
at Johnny D's, 17 Holland St, Somerville (Davis Sq)
$10 / 21+

I wasn't tremendously blown away by either group from what I heard. If I was in the audience, I'm guessing I'd have funky good time.

FRI 9/3

10pm
The Pill w/ The Honors
at Great Scott, 1222 Comm Ave, Allston
$5 / 21+

Going to a dance night usually my idea of a good time, but I can appreciate The Pill finding suitably groovy rock and Brit-pop to keep the people shaking on the floor.

If you don't feel like dancing, you would be justified for leaning against the bar while waiting to hear a live set from The Honors. They're a ridiculously good band that is firing on all cylinders. In a just world, it wouldn't be long until their original, compelling, guitar-based pop was streaming from earbuds across the globe -- and maybe it won't be long...

No comments:

ShareThis2